A Micato Tradition
I am looking for the perfect words to express the eternal gratitude I will always have for this adventure of a lifetime. . . . My son danced exuberantly with the Maasai, and decided to become a warrior himself. . . .The chef at Amboseli told me he hadn’t cooked with nuts for two days to keep my son safe. So incredibly moving. . . such warmth, such care. True kindness and unbelievable good humor.
Africa is one of the most family-friendly places on earth. Not only because of the stellar, multigenerational excitements of safari, but also because family is vitally important to the people of Africa, and visiting families enjoy great respect.
Devices are put on hold and imaginations are engaged on family safaris. Fabulous sights are seen, horizons stretched, educations enhanced, bonds strengthened and—perhaps most importantly—memories are created that reverberate merrily unto the generations.
Our private Bespoke safaris can be custom designed around family activities—and for times when the generations want to temporarily go their own ways—and our Classic and Private Classic Safaris are eminently family-friendly. Our safari experts are ever ready to get into the delightful details.
Enriching, Exciting Encounters
With our Safari Directors in charge of the fun, there are virtually no limits to what Micato guests can experience in East and Southern Africa.
- Ask your kids “Who is Nelson Mandela?” then show them. Follow in his footsteps at Robben Island, where he was imprisoned for nearly two decades.
- Have a private, crowd-free visit specially-arranged by Micato at the Daphne Sheldrick elephant orphanage, where we sponsor a baby elephant in your family’s name.
- Deliver food and help prepare meals for the community with Rosie at her soup kitchen in Cape Town.
- Make a fire and learn to track big cats with Maasai warriors.
- Surf the Sossusvlei sand dunes—a Pinto family favourite—and see Namibia in a way few ever do.
- Commune with cuddly colonies of African penguins and Cape fur seals during privately arranged kayaking excursions.
- More than 130,000 girls have received Huru Kits with reusable sanitary pads, saving the girls from missing 3.5 million school days! An exclusive Micato experience geared toward teens is helping to distribute Huru Kits to these girls.
- See Africa’s herds in an uncommon way… from the back of a friendly horse or camel.
- Impress your teen with a helicopter ride over breathtaking Victoria Falls.
- Safari by ATV or quad bike.
- Get a selfie with that giraffe you’re feeding.
- Watch shooting stars in Africa’s night sky from a custom-designed star bed.
- Jog through the Great Rift Valley alongside a barefooted Maasai warrior… the most memorable workout ever.
- Special youth-themed game drives and ranger programmes at selected lodges. And on every safari, age-appropriate activities and encounters designed just for your family by your Micato Safari Director.
Give our Safari Specialists a call at 212-545-7111 to begin planning the family safari of your imagination… and click below for more information.