We’ve crafted the Livingstone Family Wing Safari with two main goals. First, to provide a wondrous, classically inclusive introduction to the great, abounding gamelands of both Kenya and Tanzania, and to weave into the African experience many imaginative, family-enchanting special activities. We’re in Africa, after all, where family is seen as the essential bedrock of a rich life.
(Your family adventure fan will recall the epic story of the great explorer Dr. David Livingstone, one of the British Empire’s shining heroes. Ill, out of touch with the outside world for six years, he was finally found by Henry Morton Stanley, who sauntered into Livingston’s bedraggled camp on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in November, 1871 and uttered—or is legendarily said to have uttered—the famous greeting, “Dr. Livingston, I presume.”)
Stellar features of the Livingstone Family Wing Safari:
- Encounters with galumphing hippos in the Samburu on a pre-breakfast walk along the Ewaso Nyiro River, followed by a bush breakfast near a burbling hippo pool.
- A special visit to a rhino sanctuary in the Maasai Mara, with ongoing overviews of the magnificent, dinosauric, and sadly endangered beasts from our Safari Director.
- Kids-only game drives in the Serengeti, in pacific search of the fabled Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and the ultra-formidable Cape buffalo).
- A lovely one-hour horseback trek around the hills and coffee plantations next to the World Heritage site Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- An engaging and life-affirming visit to Micato-AmericaShare’s Harambee Centre, an oasis of learning and nurture in the midst of Mukuru, one of Nairobi’s worst slums.