A SAFARI TO SAVOR
~Micato Safaris Presents a Culinary Tour of South Africa with “Afro-Gastronaut” Chef Bruce Robertson ~
NEW YORK, NY (July 29, 2009) – For more than forty years, Micato Safaris (www.micato.com), known for providing the most luxurious and personalized safaris available in Africa today, has introduced travelers to the varied splendours of Africa. Now travelers can experience a new and extraordinary type of journey with Micato — one for those with discerning taste buds and a thirst for adventure. In conjunction with world-renowned South African Chef Bruce Robertson, former executive head chef at Cape Town's venerable Cape Grace Hotel and the proprietor of Cape Town's The Showroom(Café), Micato is offering the ultimate culinary tour through South Africa – A Safari to Savor.
Over the centuries, South Africa's native tribes, plus European and Asian settlers, have all left their mark on the South African table. Visitors are as likely to dine on fine French fare as the exotic local delicacies enjoyed by the Cape Malay people – once slaves of South Africa's Dutch colonials. Naturally, world-class South African wines provide the perfect complement to the region's medley of cuisines. With Micato, Chef Bruce, aka South Africa's "afro-gastronaut", will introduce travelers to South Africa's tasty treasures and the people shaping South Africa's culinary landscape.
The 10-day culinary journey includes:
- Accommodations at Cape Grace Hotel, spectacularly situated on the West Quay of the Victoria and Albert Waterfront with Table Mountain as its majestic backdrop. Upon arrival, guests will enjoy a welcome dinner prepared in their honor at Chef Bruce's restaurant.
- A visit to Kirstenbosch Gardens, one of the finest indigenous gardens in Africa, for tea and Cape herb scones.
- A tour of the ruggedly beautiful Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, including a stop at the resident Jackass Penguin colonies at Boulders Beach followed by a seaside picnic of fresh seafood "potjie", prepared by Chef Bruce.
- A visit to the Eziko Cooking and Catering School in the heart of Langa, the oldest township in South Africa. Eziko's founder, Victor Mguqulwa, founded the school to address the unemployment that plagues the township communities by providing youth with career skills in cooking and catering. Guests will learn about African and Xhosa cuisine and will have the opportunity to taste -– if they dare – local African delicacies such as marula nuts, marog, and mopane worms, accompanied by wines made by township residents.
- A meeting with the authority on Cape Malay cuisine, Cass Abrahams. Guests will learn to make their own "Malay Spice Blend".
- A private wine tasting with Hannes Myburgh, seventh-generation owner of Meerlust vineyards, a visit to the South African Mushroom Academy for an introduction to the culinary aspects of gourmet mushrooms, red wine tasting and food pairing at Rust en Vrede with Jean Engelbrecht and Chef David Higgs, and a tour of golf great Ernie Els' trophy room and private wine cellar.
- A superb dinner at the legendary Gramadoelas Restaurant in Johannesburg. Established in 1967, Gramadoelas has hosted an impressive list of guests including The Queen of England, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and Nelson Mandela. The true South African style of cuisine reigns here, and guests sample such exotic fare as kudu (antelope) pan fried with dried fruit and spices.
- A four day safari at Thornybush Game Reserve, with accommodations at Royal Malewane, an exclusive getaway for those who value privacy, personalized service and the best game viewing Africa has to offer. Here guests will enjoy early morning game drives followed by leisurely breakfasts, luxurious spa treatments, "sundowner" cocktails in the bush, elephant-back safaris at neighboring Camp Jubalani, and visits to a wildlife rehabilitation center. By special arrangement, Chef Bruce and guests will meet with Royal Malewane's chef to learn about the local cuisine and the challenges of cooking up gourmet meals in the bush!
For more information or to book Micato Safaris' Safari to Savor: A Culinary Tour of South Africa (10 days, $17,500 per person based on double occupancy), visit www.micato.com or call 1-800-MICATO-1.
About Micato Safaris
Micato Safaris is a luxury safari operator—offering adventures in East Africa, Southern Africa and India—that’s been setting the industry standard for luxury and service for more than three decades. Travellers have recognized Micato’s unsurpassed service by naming the company the #1 World’s Best Tour Operator & Safari Outfitter” a record six times in Travel + Leisure’s prestigious annual survey. For nearly a quarter century, Micato’s nonprofit arm, AmericaShare, has been supporting orphaned and vulnerable children and adults affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
About Chef Bruce Robertson
Chef Bruce, or more commonly know in the African circle as "the afro – gastronaut", in his uniquely short time as a professional chef has broken all boundaries; studied as a graphic artist, worked as a top advertising art director and now plays as a pro cook!
The whirlwind spiral toward his highly acclaimed 'theshowroom' restaurant has roots as an apprentice at the London Ritz under sir Giles Thompson, the Lanesbourgh on Hyde Park, Oxo fine dining on the Thames, Petrus with Gordon & Marcus and finally a senior chef with Anton Mossiman in Belgravia.
Africa called: head chef at 'Singita Boulders' and then he finally came to rest at the Cape Grace hotel as executive head chef. He opened the award winning restaurant 'one. waterfront' with immediate recognition as the front runner of modern/graphic South African cuisine.
"Chef of the Year 2004 "- Wine Magazine Awards, The Business Day "Restaurant of the Year" 2004
"SA's Best Chef 2004" Hotel & Restaurant , Eat Out - Award "Top 10 Restaurant SA" 2003-2008
Conde Nast-Top 100'Hot Spots' International 2007-2008